'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Monday, January 6, 2014

The Truth of Stone by David S. Mackenzie

Descriptions from book cover:
'The discovery of an old curling stone and a female skeleton at the bottom of a former loch prompts James Atherton to investigate the story of Elsie McAndrew, who vanished from his village in 1934. Although the skeleton is easily identified as belonging to Elsie - for she was born with a club foot - what puzzles everyone is that the skeleton is not that of a young woman, but of someone who had comfortably reached old age. What had happened to Elsie in the intervening years? Where had she gone and why had she returned? How did she meet her death? These questions lead James Atherton down many paths and force him to look to his own past as well as that of the elusive Elsie. His journey takes him back to the small enclosed village of his youth when the myth of Elsie ran strong, back further to the carefree days of ice-skating and curling, and further still into Elsie's own bitter history. But surprisingly his quest does not end there...and it is not until we have travelled with James to London and Naples that we learn the full haunting story of Elsie McAndrew.'

I came across this book over @ There's Been a Murder in an interview with the author about his newest book The Interpretations. But in the interview, his first book The Truth of Stone was mentioned and I had to have it! It was hard to find any information about it and I finally found a used ex-library copy online. It was only published in the UK.

This book was written quite differently than most I've read. I enjoyed it. There are seven parts, not chapters, and two postscripts. It starts in 1984 and jumps back to 1917-1934, back to 1984 then 1947, 1930's and finishing up in 1969. I like how part two took us thru the story with a description of a photograph beginning each section. We have it in our minds eye then like a snapshot as he tells us this part of the story. Very unique. At first a little confusing but then I caught on to what he was doing and I enjoyed the story. The first paragraph gives you an idea of the ride your in for...

'This is the story of some things that really happened and of others that did not. In a way then, there are two stories but woven together so that it will be difficult for you to separate the fact from the fiction. It is difficult enough for me. Writing the fictional part is easy; it is the factual part that is hard. However, since I am committed to producing this hybrid does it really matter if I can no longer separate these two in my mind even before I start? I have a feeling that it does. I'm not sure why. Maybe I'll find out as I write it down. One thing is sure though; real people inhabit these pages and although most of them are now dead I have changed their names. I find it interesting that in trying to approach the truth I have to start off by telling lies.'

Are you intrigued now or turned off, I wonder. I'm glad I found the book and read it. Elsie was a complex character I think. Was she a victim of her disability, of her circumstances or did she create her own problems with her unforgiving spirit and bitterness? And who exactly is telling this tale?

Peggy Ann

Read Scotland 2014, Meet the Protagonist Challenge

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I would get a kick out of this. I used to curl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever seen it on the winter Olympics but I love to watch it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Peggy,

    I also love watching curling when it is televised and I am certain that it is a whole lot less complicated than this book sounds.

    This is the second really intense and intriguing story in a row you have featured and I am strangely drawn to both, although you appear to have enjoyed this one rather more than 'Sisters Of the Bruce'.

    The author's other book, which you briefly mention, 'The Interpretations', also sounds unique and beguiling, so that's another couple for my reading list.

    I enjoy the way in which you present your reviews, it makes saying yes or no to a book, so straightforward.

    Enjoy the rest of your week,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it does intrigue me - and it does sound different. Truth and lies - always a difficult thing to determine in real life as in fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He touches on how accurate what we remember is too, Margaret. And how others memories of the same incident years later can differ. It was a good read.

      Delete
  4. I wish I could read it!! Sounds very good....I have read a bunch of body in the bog style books and have enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...