'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, December 31, 2011

Weekend Cooking




I picked up a great cookbook years ago at a flea market, Reader's Digest Down Home Cooking The New, Healthier Way  I have really enjoyed this book and today I am sharing one of my favorites from it.

Click to purchase










Indian Corn Stew

1 tbls. oil
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups sweet green peppers chopped
1 lrg. yellow onion, chopped (1 1/2 c.)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
8 lrg. ears of corn, kernels cut off, or 4 cups frozen corn
1 can 14 oz. crushed tomatoes
4 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. each black pepper and chili powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground red pepper or to taste
1 medium size zucchini or yellow summer squash, thinly sliced crosswise (2 cups)

In a 6-qt. dutch oven, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add the beef and cook stirring frequently, for 8 min. or until browned. Lower the heat, stir in the green peppers, onion, and garlic and simmer, uncovered for 5 min. or until tender, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the corn, tomatoes, worcestershire, pepper, chili powder, salt and red pepper nd bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer 15 min.; add the squash, then simmer 5 min. longer or until the vegetables are tender. Tip: Any extras may be frozen for up to 1 month.               Makes 6 servings

One of my favorite fall dishes!

This post is linked to Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking post. Make sure to stop over and say hi to Beth!

So whats cooking at your house?

8 comments:

  1. This is exactly the kind of simple home-cooking I want to do more of this next year. Thanks for sharing the cookbook. I had not seen this one. My shelves include a few Readers Digest books about needlework, sewing, home repair, and those are all well done. Have not used one of their cookbooks before, but if this recipe is typical, it looks promising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Hearty healthy dish, I'm bookmarking it.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep, those Readers Digest book are great. I have the home repair and needlework ones myself but I never saw this cookbook.
    That sound very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy does this sound good -- the perfect winter comfort food. Like others, I've seen a number of their how-to books but not their cookbooks. I'll look for this at flea markets this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds delicious and perfect for the cold weather they're predicting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may very easily be changed into a vegetarian dish by just using beans instead of meat and leaving out the worcestershire (anchovies). Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems quite easy yet comforting-perfect for cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks like a wonderful dish

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...